Where Should My Puppy Sleep?

Puppies love to sleep together. To reduce night-time stress you can emulate this when you bring your puppy home.

Bringing a puppy home is a scary and exciting time, there are many decisions to be made about how you manage this new addition to the home, and one of them is sleeping arrangements. If this transition from breeder to your home is done with proper care you will be giving your puppy the best chance to develop in a positive direction.

When you bring a new puppy home you are removing it from everything that is familiar. Often puppies have spent their whole lives with their siblings, it must be quite frightening for a puppy to suddenly find themselves sleeping on their own in a new environment. Most puppies are adopted out at around eight weeks of age and we know that this age is within the critical socialisation period so any traumatic event is likely to have lasting effects. You can help make this transition as smooth as possible by having the best sleeping arrangements for your new puppy. I encourage people to have their new puppy sleep and live inside. A puppy who is relegated outside is likely to spend long periods in isolation. Long periods of isolation during this transition stage can give rise to many problematic behaviours.

I have found that puppies do best with overnight sleeping if they are close to their new owner. The best way to stay close to your new puppy is to have him sleep in a crate and you sleep on the floor next to the crate. The alternative is to have the crate right next to your bed and allow your hand to hang over the side for comfort. Sleeping your puppy in a crate is an effective in combining training with bonding.

Allowing your puppy to sleep close to you is a wonderful way to begin the bonding process with him. A strong bond will help your puppy feel more secure and this will encourage him to become more confident during socialisation. If your puppy is bonded to you, training will also be more successful, and your puppy will have a good chance of becoming a well-rounded adult.

This kind of sleeping arrangement makes the adoption transition much smoother for your puppy and lends itself well to changing your puppy’s sleeping location over time. This is because the puppy is already comfortable with sleeping solo in a crate and has perhaps forgotten about his previous life huddled with litter mates. The puppy will also be more confident, while he has been sleeping close to you he has had the opportunity to become familiar with your home, and can safely predict events. A puppy who lives in a predictable world feels much more secure.

When you and your puppy are ready, start the process of moving the crate to another room. The crate should still remain close enough for you to hear your puppy if he needs to go to the toilet. As your puppy matures in to a dog you can give him more freedom, perhaps allowing him to sleep in the living room without being locked in the crate.

Ensuring that the adoption transition is as smooth as possible for a new puppy includes carefully organising sleeping arrangements. Sleeping close to your new puppy is one thing you can do to reduce the amount of stress and fear your puppy feels when you bring him home.

Katarina

This entry was posted in Harmony In The Home, The New Puppy Journey. Bookmark the permalink.

148 Responses to Where Should My Puppy Sleep?

1. michael vitale says:

Hmm, I guess you have never had a puppy that snored!! Or a partner who did not like the idea of having you sleep on the floor!

• katarina says:

:) No, I’ve never had a puppy that snored so loud as to keep me awake. I think a partner would be forgiving about one sleeping on the floor if it minimised puppy howling. I guess when you bring a pup home and want to start as smoothly as possible you have to put yourself out a little.

2. Fiona says:

How long should puppy sleep in my room before transitioning to another room?

Hi Fiona,
      I tend to go for a week at a time between changes in sleeping locations. Try to make sure you only make one change at a time, for example if you are changing your puppy’s day time (or home alone) housing arrangements you should wait until this has settled before changing night time routines. Good luck.

3. Fiona says:

Thank you Katarina :) I am home full time with a 3 yr old and and 1 year old :)) I’ve read a bit about pack order and hierarchy etc.. Will this work itself with the kids and our pup? Or is there something I can do to help things along? I plan to feed the kids first and get my 3 yr old to help give our pup her dinner. Is that ok?

• katarina says:

No problem Fiona. Don’t get too caught up in the pack hierarchy thing, the important thing is to have consistency and confidence in what you are doing. The ages of your children it is unlikely that they will be able to do anything meaningful for the dog (from the dogs perspective) but certainly the first step will be to teach them how to behave around dogs, how to pat dogs. Check out my articles on kids and dogs….

and dominance theory…..

All the best!

• Mark says:

My german sherphed puppy crying and houling at night, if I bring him inside, he messes the floor. Its a nightmare. He was ok the past 2 weeks but last night was a nightmare. Please helP

Hi Mark,
          I don’t have enough information about your puppy to give you the best advice, best that you contact a local trainer for some help.

• Dave A. says:

You should put the puppy to sleep in a crate at night in a different room than you are sleeping in. NEVER CRATE YOUR PUPPY IN YOUR BEDROOM. This is horrible advice. The puppy will just cry all night and expect you to wake up every time it wakes up. If it sees you or smells you it will want to be by you. Let the puppy out in the morning to go potty, and praise him vigorously when he does. Having a puppy sleep in a diffent room teaches him quickly that bed time is a time for sleep, not attention.

• Harle says:

Dave this is actually true! I’m doing this right now ! I can hear him crying but it has stopped how do you not get the temptation to get them to sleep in your bed :(

4. Cris says:

Hi. I really like u tips. But one question…. If i put the puppy to sleep in my room in a crate and it starts barking or crying… What should i do?
    Thx

5. rollette says:

I just adopted a 5mos old great pyrenees. for the first 5 days he’s been whining. 6th day he stopped whining but non stop pacing. any ideas why? is it part of transition?

• katarina says:

Hi, he sounds stressed, probably more stressed than would be considered normal. Without a heap more information I cannot really give you any direct advice, if you live in Melbourne (Australia) please contact me via telephone under the ‘contact’ part of my site. Otherwise I would recommend finding a reputable trainer (who does not use choke chains or similar) to come out and support you asap.

6. Summi says:

Hi Katarina :)
    A few weeks ago we got a toy poodle, he’s just under three months. He slept with me for a week or so before we moved him to the bathroom, as he kept waking me up in the middle of the night by chewing on my hair, sleeping on my face, etc.
    However our bathroom gets really messy now, due to the mess he makes at night… (Pooping and peeing… :/) We avoid using that bathroom altogether now, however it’s going to be an issue when we have guests over. Where should we move him? Thank you :)

Hi Summi,
      Try crate training, you can have the crate in your room and he will wake you up when he needs to go to the toilet. Check out my article on crate training….

Make sure you also take him outside before bed at night (and supervise him out there) so he has a chance to empty his bladder and bowel before the night time sleep.

Good luck

7. kelsey says:

Hi there
    I have a 6 week old puppy that i have sleeping in my room on her own bed on the floor, i was going to continue with this forever but my partner thinks that the pup will become more dominate over our kids (17, 15 and 11) because they arent in the room also. Is this true? What do you think?
    Thanks

Hi Kelsey,
      Take a look at my articles on dominance below. Also, at six weeks your puppy is far too young to have been removed from her litter (if that is what’s happened) so she will need all the support and bonding you can give her, you can move her to another location to sleep down the track. I would be more concerned about giving her the right socialisation rather than being preoccupied with dominance. Think of your relationship with your dog as a partnership, you need to work together rather than against each other. Contact a reputable trainer (who uses motivational methods) in your area so you can start the socialisation process asap. Good luck.

http://doglifetraining.com/2011/01/dominance-and-the-wolf/ ?

• kelsey says:

Thanks Katarina we are starting pup school next week. The pup was taken from the litter because the mother stopped all contact with her pups at 5weeks so the breeder thought it was better that she start bonding with us rather then being bullied by the mother and biten

8. Laura says:

Hi Katarina,

Should you always lock your puppy inside its crate at night? My idea was to corner over a section of the house and have the crate open.
    Also how do you know the difference between a cry for attention and a cry to go to the toilet. I have heard that you should ignore the attention crying so the puppy does not associate crying with the reward of you coming to it.

Thanks

Hi Laura,
      Thanks for your question. Until your puppy shows signs of letting you know he needs to toilet eg sitting at the back door then he is not toilet trained so until this time at least, yes continue using the crate. The difference between an attention cry and need for the toilet will usually be based on time, if its been a few hours since the last toilet trip then it’s probably legit. Yes, ignore any attention crying but be realistic, puppies are ready to wake for the day at sunrise so you will need to as well. On top of this be sympathetic about what your puppy has just been through, taken from his litter and first home and all of a sudden in a new place on his own. I always sleep next to the crate on the floor (with my fingers in the crate) with my new pups for at least the first week, then I can start moving back to my own bed with little issue. All the best with your new puppy and keep in touch.
      Katarina

9. nadia says:

I have two miniature dachshund puppies. 3.5 months old. They mess everywhere and won’t go outside and potty. My family is upset and want me to get rid of them. Can they sleep outside and how do I get them to be potty trained when they stubborn.

Hi Nadia,
      You need to supervise your dogs at all times when they are inside, this means never leaving them alone in the home at all until they are trained. They aren’t being stubborn they just haven’t had anyone teach them. When you can’t watch your puppies (like when you are on the phone, the computer, having a shower, doing some cooking) they need to be in a crate or puppy playpen or behind a baby gate in a very small area. They need to be taken out and reminded to potty every hour, after sleeping, after eating and after playing. Make a promise that you are going to make sure they have no more accidents inside for the next two months (this is going to take lots of attention and energy) and then you will be well on the way to teaching them about where to toilet.

10. Shannie says:

Hi,
    I’ve just adopted a 3 month old puppy 4 days ago. I rescued her from an abusive family. She seems alright mentally, some things I do she flinches but she’s come to trust my partner and I quite quickly. Our only problem with her is sleeping arrangements. Her first night we set up a bed with food bowels in the laundry but she wouldn’t stop crying and wining. We couldn’t get any sleep so we let her in the house (closing all bedroom and bathroom doors) but waking up to poo and pee all over the ground isn’t much fun. But the next two nights we just let her sleep in the house. Last night we had her in the bed with us. I loved it, enjoyed the cuddles very much! (She’s very affectionate towards me) but my partner said he didn’t get much sleep as she was pushing him off the bed. Little bed hog she is aha. Anyway! Tonight we’re trying the laundry again. It’s a decent size and she has her bed set up with a little pillow pet toy and a blanket. But she is still crying.

Any advice?

Hi Shannie,
      Congratulations on your new dog. I always recommend sleeping on the floor next to the dogs’ crate when they are new. Crate training is also something I would recommend for toilet training overnight. Over time (perhaps 5-7 days) you can move back in to your bed and the crate can either be in another room or next to your bed. After your dog is toilet trained (may take several months) you can then begin to leave your dog loose in a room of your choice.

Find a trainer to help you with the above. All the best.

11. Carolyn says:

Hi,
    We have an 11week old Staffy pup join our family a week ago. He’s bonded well with us all, including our older (9yr female staffy) rescue dog we’ve had for 18months. She had never been socialised properly and was very dominant towards other dogs. Now this little man is a total sook at bedtime. His bed is in our room next to our bed but he’d much prefer to sleep with us, his new pack, he knows our other dog likes sleeping with us too. I know I’ve got to get a little tough with him and show him his sleeping place. Our old girl will go to her bed when told, even though she groans and huffs in the process. Some tips on getting him to stay on his bed would be great. I’m ok with losing skeep to achieve this (I don’t sleep well anyway). At the moment I keep encouraging him back to his bed. I don’t mind him on our bed but not until he can safely get on and off on his own and will get off when told to.

Thanks.

Hi Carolyn,
      Thank you for your question. Sometimes sleeping on the floor next to new puppies helps to settle them better, then after a few days you can move back to your bed. When you move back to your bed leave your hand over the edge of the bed touching your puppy this will help sooth him too. I recommend crate training for all new puppies, he should not be free to roam around your room at night until he is toilet trained and mature enough to deal with some freedom. All the best!

12. Nea says:

Hi Katarina,

I just got a 8wk old maltipoo from a breeder, he is a dream! He’s crate trained, and goes potty outside. He has no problem telling us when he has to go. The only problem that I seem to having is I can’t get him to stop biting or mouthing on things like our feet, shoes, socks and furniture. I tell him “No bite!” And he stops but sometimes he just ignores me. I understand that this is puppy play, but how long will this last? and how do combat that and let him know that he cannot bite!? By the way we try and redirect him with his toys… What else can I do?

Hi Nea,
      Congratulations on your new puppy. Mouthing is very normal for puppies and should always be redirected to a toy, when you do not have the time to redirect the best thing to do is use your confinement areas (puppy play pen, crate, baby gate) to leave your puppy in so he cannot practice this behaviour when you are too busy to manage him. Confinement areas are not for punishment they are areas you place him in before he gets in to trouble, this means you will have to be aware of placing him in confinement when you know you will not be able to manage him. Some dogs remain oral for their whole lives but as they get older and you are consistent with redirecting to a toy you will find eventually your dog will bring you a toy when he wants to interact. Stay constant and use your confinement areas.

13. Elize says:

Hi I adopted a 12 weeks puppy from a kennel. I don’t use a crate but he is sleep ibf on a puppy cushion.He stays inside during the day and I put newspapers out for him. He used to go pee on it, I have him now for a week. Now he suddenly poo any place in my house. Its not safe taking him outside at night. When can he start sleeping outside?

Hi Elize,
      I cannot answer your question because I have no idea how your yard or outdoor area is set up. If you decide to leave him outside you must make sure he cannot escape and nothing can get in. If it’s not safe taking him out at night then I worry about how safe it is for him outside during the day too. I think you should arrange to have a reputable trainer come out to your home to give you some support during this time. Good luck.

14. Jenny says:

Hi My family adopted a 9 week old chihuahua from a breeder 2 days ago. The first night he slept on the ground in my bedroom but he kept waking up in the middle of the night to pee and poop. So my parents said that he had to sleep in the laundry, sometimes he will not stop whining until you take him out and sometimes he will fall straight asleep. We dont have a crate and he is not allowed to sleep in my bedroom, so what can I do to help him adjust to his bed in the laundry? And not feel as though we are punishing him by leaving him in the laundry?

• katarina says:

The best place for a new puppy is with you overnight. They need to have a couple of toilet outings overnight when they are babies, it also helps with bonding and they will experience less anxiety/crying.

I would recommend that you purchase a crate so that there is no ‘mess’ made in your room, you will have to get up a few times each night for the coming weeks though so be prepared for this, it’s normal. The laundry is often completely shut off from the rest of the family and young puppies hate to be separated from their family, once your puppy is used to the crate you can then move the crate outside your room and gradually to the laundry area.

Please understand that your puppy has just been taken away from everything he knows and now has to spend nights all by himself in a strange place with no siblings or mum, go easy on him, settle him in to a crate close to you overnight for the time being, then start to move him out gradually.

15. Stuart says:

We just got a new puppy (Kelpie 8 weeks) and would like it to be an outside dog. We also have a female (Pointer/Lab 5yrs) which is an outside dog. My question is what sort of arrangement for the puppy should we do at night? Do we keep it inside in a crate for now? When is a good time to let it go outside permanently? Our other dog seems to get on with it fine.

• katarina says:

Hello Stuart, having your puppy inside with you overnight will ease his/her transition to your home. I always advocate for dogs to be inside at least some of the time. Dogs are social animals, we have them for companionship and leaving them outside defeats the purpose of this. Dogs who are outside full time usually experience behavioural fall-out (bark more etc) from being separated from their families. I see it every day when I walk my dog, a dog outside will always bark when we pass by. Night time barking can also be problem for outdoor dogs (and their neighbours).

16. Ruth says:

We just rescued a month ago a 6 month old Dashuand mix, I am struggling with house breaking, though I watch her constantly when she is out of her crate and dont let her out of my sight, along with frequent bathroom trips (I take her out roughly every 30 min) yet still she has accidents. There is no warning, she will be playing or jumping anx just pee…. I dont know what else to do to housebreak her. She can hold it through the night as she does not go in her crate.

• katarina says:

She’s probably quite close to the ground being a Dachshund mix so it may be more difficult to catch her before she squats. I think it would be best to book a session with a trainer so they can get a complete background of her behaviour in order to come up with a plan of action for you. At six months of age she should be able to hold on for at least a few hours during the day.

17. Lisa Schreurs says:

Hi,
    My husband & I have just rescued an 11 week old Australian Cattle Dog (Red Heeler Cross). We have had him for a week now. We tried the laundry sleeping arrangement and it’s not working. As we have a cat who already sleeps on our bed, and the cat and puppy do not get along yet. My husband is sleeping in the spare room with the puppy to keep him calm at night. What age is appopriate to move him to another room. He loves it outside (glass door exit) he runs all over the grass area and is free to use the toilet and seems to be a lot calmer outside then the laundry (wooden door). I think it may be the glass door helping as he can see us? We also have large wooden gates keeping him out the back area. I have read previous comments and worry that if he sleeps outside he may have issues. We are already doing puppy pre-school and excelling. He is so eager to learn. I would love any advice on sleeping? Thanks Lisa

Hi Lisa,
      I think you are on the right track. Your pup should be confined overnight to something like a crate while your husband sleeps close by, then over the course of a week you can start to move further away from the crate until your husband is back in your room and then you can move the crate to any area of the house. Some dogs choose to sleep outside, refusing to come inside at night and as long as you’re not getting any issues around barking overnight and your dog has time with you inside each day that’s fine.

18. Emily says:

We adopted a 14 week old Cocker puppy 2 weeks ago. After the first 3 nights inside the house in his box, we put him out on the patio each night. He has only once chosen to sleep in his nice comfy kennel out there,preferring to sleep right at the glass patio door.
    After reading your advice about pups being better off sleeping close to their owner, I have put him in his box inside the house tonight. He went in very happily and lay down with his chewy bone. Fingers crossed this makes him feel more secure. Does this sound about right?

• katarina says:

Sounds good to me. If you like you can start moving him further away to a more permanent room in his box (or crate) as the weeks progress.

19. Michael says:

Hi katrina

We just bought a 3 month old jug (cross pug jack russel). At night ans at work we leave in the enclosed kitchen to roam free with her bed, toys, water etc. She was fine the first day and night but after that it’s impossible as she whined non stop and we leave in an apartment with poor acoustics so we can’t just ignore as it’s unfair on the neighbours. Reading the above advice I’m thinking perhaps a crate in our bedroom would be a better option. We also have play pen setup walls, which do u think is a better option the crate or an enclosed area using the play pen walls? Also what would u suggest for when we are at work for 8 hours of the day? Crate seems quite cruel for this long would perhaps a large play pen area in the kitchen with pee pads suffice with doors open so she doesn’t feel as claustrophobic?

20. Cassandra says:

We just got a new puppy (labrador 8 weeks). He sleeps in a crate at the foot of our bed and we take him out for regular potty breaks. However, we eventually want him to be a dog who sleeps outside & are worried that he will get too attached and cry etc when we do put him outside. How do we make the transition as easy as possible? & when do we start to move him away from us? – we have had him for 3 days

21. Amagolo says:

Hi!
    We just got a German Shepherd puppy about 8 weeks old. The pup came from a breeding venue and therefore he is away from his mom and siblings. My parents made the puppy sleep outside (in winter) although I recommended that the pup stay inside for the first week. Is it okay to make the dog sleep outside even though he just arrived? If it is alright, how can I get the puppy to sleep in his dog house instead of on the verandah (on the cold tile)?
    Any advice/thoughts would be much appreciated.

• katarina says:

I think when you bring a puppy home it should be inside and I also believe dogs should be allowed to be inside with you. Some dogs enjoy being outside and dog doors are a great way of allowing a dog to choose where it spends its time. Dogs are social creatures and enjoy the company of their family and the same can be said for the way humans feel towards their dogs, otherwise what is the point of having a dog? German Shepherds are sensitive breeds who bond very, very strongly to their family and do very well living inside homes.

• Emma says:

I find it disappointing to read all these questions to you about people wanting their dogs to sleep outside and you stick to your guns about how they should be inside… Regardless of your personal opinion, not everyone wants to have their dogs live full time inside, fresh air overnight is not harmful. Why can’t you give objective advice away from your opinion to help people! I have a collie pup who we let sleep in the laundry, I will not have her in the rooms we sleep in… Would be nice to get some advice on how to transition her to sleep outside… Sleeping outside doesn’t mean we lock them outside all day.

Hi Emma,
          This is my website so all responses and articles are obviously going to be my opinion. No one has to visit my site or accept my advice but if people ask I will give it. My thoughts and opinions have been based on thousands of hours of observing and learning about canine behaviour. There are many other sites you can seek help from but my philosophy on dog training and ownership is all about partnership and a huge part of maintaining a strong bond is physical closeness with our dogs, this includes having our dogs inside.

I have a dog door (and have had one for all of my dogs) and not one of my dogs has ever chosen to sleep outside. Dogs are social animals and I find that most would like to be close to their family. I actually don’t allow my dog in any of my bedrooms but he sleeps inside as part of the family because he is very much a part of our family.

To answer your question, if you want your pup to sleep outside then just put her outside, I’m not sure there is any transition process involved.

• Raised on a farm says:

I agree Emma. I will search for my advice somewhere else. It’s annoying to keep reading the same response. She’s not objective. Do what you think is right. Don’t listen to anyone else. Same as parenting.

• katarina says:

I’ve never professed to being objective. I make judgements, we all do, it’s natural human behaviour and my judgements greatly help me in doing my job successfully. You’re searching for help suggesting something is not right between you and your dog. So perhaps take your own advice, do what you think is right, don’t listen to anyone else.

22. Miranda says:

Hi there,

We just brought home our 8 week home golden retriever today. I have set up a playpen that contains a crate with toys in it, and a puppy potty which has synthetic grass on it. He’s already peed on it twice which is good, but when he’s napped today he prefers to do so on the puppy toilet! I thought they didn’t like sleeping where they go?

• katarina says:

Correct, normal puppies do not like to lay anywhere they use as their toilet. The exception to this rule is when puppies are housed in environments where they have no choice but to play, sleep, eat and toilet in the one area. Places such as caged dog runs, pet shop windows and other similar fenced in areas. Where did your puppy spend the first 8 weeks of his life?

23. Matt says:

Hi Katarina,

We have an 8 week old Cavalier King Charles x shihtzu. She is beautiful but not sleeping through the night. We have her on a little bed in our ensuite with a toilet mat in the corner. I have been reading about the crete’s but not sure if this is the best option or to keep going the way we are. I have also read that they do not like sleeping where they have been to the toilet I was wondering if I ignore the crying that she will just stop all together? I dont want to get her used to me getting up and taking her to the toilet in the middle of the night.

Thank you for your help.

Hi Matt,
      8 week old puppies will need to go to the toilet at least once overnight so for the next few weeks it will be normal for you to have to get up in the middle of the night to take her outside and she will cry to let you know she needs to go. If you ignore the crying she will toilet inside which defeats the purpose of toilet training.

So, wake up and let her out allow her to toilet outside with you supervising and then bring her straight back inside, she may cry for a little while but you should ignore this. I always recommend crate training and I will always sleep on the floor next to the crate for the first week or so after bringing my puppy home. Being 8 weeks old I would assume you have only had her for days?

24. Baylee says:

Hi Katrina!
    I got a 7 week old puppy a couple of weeks ago. He is 9 weeks old now and always wants to be with me. I want him to start sleeping in the bed with me because he doesn’t whine when he is touching me while sleeping. But there’s one problem, he is not completely potty trained. Do you think he will go potty in my bed?
    Thanks,
    Baylee

Hi Baylee,
      I would actually suggest that you get a reputable trainer in to help you. A puppy should NEVER be adopted before they are 8 weeks of age. We know that pups taken from their mum and siblings before 8 weeks often suffer significantly because of it. One of the issues they tend to have is a great deal of difficulty coping with being on their own which is what you are seeing now.

I would also question the breeding practices of anyone willing to adopt out their 7 week old puppies. So any problems you may have with behaviour going forward could also be genetic.

You will need lots of support with this little man, more than I could give in a comment here. Find the best trainer you can to help you, word of mouth is often a great way to find a good trainer so ask around for some recommendations. All the best.

25. Helen says:

Hi Katrina

All of this advice and comments are wonderfully helpful. Thank you.

Last week I adopted a 9 week old puppy (Toy Poodle x Shih Tzu) I didn’t have a crate but I put her to sleep on her soft bed on the floor next to mine and hung my arm out of the bed, which worked perfectly. She is mostly house trained already and goes to the toilet on newspaper or outside. She’s had no accidents at night and always wakes me up to go. In the middle of the night after a toilet break she tries to get into bed with me and the last 4 days I’ve been letting her (so she starts the night in her bed but ends in mine) I love it! But I’m worried this will cause problems later if I don’t want her in bed. As she’s already partially house trained and content in the night, is it too late to introduce a crate? She is now 10 weeks old and I’ve had her for 8 days. Thank you.

Hi Helen,
      Thank you for your kind words. It’s never too late to introduce a crate, if done correctly dogs of any age take to them really well and very much enjoy using them. It’s probably the best time to introduce a crate when you are having NO issues because there could come a time when you must use a crate and at least this way there is no rush in getting your dog used to it.

Don’t worry about the bed sleeping, if you enjoy it and she enjoys it then go for it! It will become a habit though so as long as you are aware that should you want to change this in the future it could take some time and consistency to change. Try introducing a cue word like “up you get” so that she knows she can only get on the bed with your permission, this could make any future changes easier.

26. Yogi says:

Hi Kataria, glad to read your post about about this issue and the comment section. I’m about to have a 8weeks old english bulldog, and plannig to sleep with him the first week before gradually move him to another room. I would like to ask you is that ok to put the puppy in a crate where it has 2 sections? I mean the bed and the toilet are separated by a divider, so I don’t have to bring him to the toilet in the middle of the night. I will still do the potty training during the day time. Thank you.

• katarina says:

Hi Yogi. Crates should only be small enough to fit your dog and a blanket and toy inside only. The purpose of this is to teach your dog to ‘hold on’, having a toilet area inside a crate defeats the purpose of crate training. Sorry, you will have to just get used to the 3am toilet stops for the first few weeks of having your dog, don’t worry it will pass quickly :)

27. Shanie says:

I have bought a crate and a bed for my new puppy but after reading this article you said it should sleep in a crate but wouldn’t my puppy be uncomfortable ? Should I put the bed inside ? And when he gets used to sleeping in the crate how am I supposed to make him sleep in the bed

• katarina says:

You can put the bed inside the crate if it will fit. If the bed will not fit in the crate just pop some towels down to make it soft and cosy. Don’t worry your pup will learn on his own to enjoy his bed and crate if they are separate.

28. Diana says:

Hi Katarina
    I have a question.

I just got a puppy that’s almost two months old. Yes, waaaay too young to have been separated, but the owner said that her mom wasn’t really paying attention to her and thought it’d be best if she began bonding with us instead.
    The first night that she was with us, she slept in my room and there was just about zero crying, but she did need to get up in the middle of the night to go potty.
    Even so, we decided to see what it’d be like if she slept in the bathroom, since that’s where she goes potty for now considering the fact that she can’t easily get to it.

Should she go back to sleeping in the same room as me or what should I do?!

Please help me out

Blessings

• katarina says:

It’s really up to you, if your puppy is settled and you are happy to have her in the bathroom then go for it. It’s a myth that you need to start as you continue with a dogs sleeping habits, you can change where they sleep any time though their life. Having your pup close while she is a baby is good idea, lovely you havent had any crying.

29. karen says:

Hi Katrina
    I have a puppy that l eventually want
    to sleep outside and l see from your previous comments you would prefer dogs to sleep inside. But we have a safe yard with a high fence and she cant get out and nothing can get in. So what age is good ? She is only 9 weeks
    Old and sleeps inside a puppy playpen in another room with no crying . Im keeping her inside for a while longer but she will have to sleep outside eventually as thats the way our family wants it . At the moment shes in and out of the house all day which is fine with heaps of interaction . Im worried that if shes gets to comfortable with sleeping in the house she will hate sleeping in a kennel under the pergola. Would it be best when the time comes to start of with a night here and there instead of every night straight away ? Our dog is a spoodle and l think by 6 mths she could sleep outside . Would u agree if shes in a safe environment and doesn’t keep the neighborhood awake this would be ok .

Regards

Hi Karen,
      Yes, I will always advise people to sleep their dogs inside (or at least give their dogs a choice via a dog door). Dogs inside tend to bark less and offer excellent overnight protection for the inside of the home. Much of the reason I like to have my dogs inside as much as possible is because I do not want to subject my neighbours to my decision of having a dog. Neighbours should never have to listen to dogs barking in the middle of the night or early morning.

Of course, she is your dog so try her outside but you may find there is more barking and higher levels of excitement you may have to revisit allowing her to sleep inside.

30. Gina says:

Hi Katerina, it has been great to read all if these posts! We just got a cross breed Beaglier last week now (9 weeks old). He has taken well to toilet training (so far) & in the majority of cases goes on his training mat. When we are at work we keep him in a confined space (kept in by a baby gate) in our small kitchen where he has his crate with the door open, when he needs to go to the toilet he will climb out & go on the mat, then can play around the kitchen area. I am reading a lot about crate training I am worried we are confusing him by giving him the freedom of an open crate & also confined space. Is it ok to have both?
    We can basically do the same at night by having him in his crate by our bed & opening onto our en suite bathroom so he can climb out in the middle of the night & relieve himself on his mat. Am I confusing him by allowing him to go in different places or so long as he goes on the mat its not an issue? Also if we allow him to sleep in our room how best is it to transition him to eventually sleeping outside? We eventually want our bedroom back to ourselves!

Hi Gina,
      You sound like you are absolutely on the right track, the crate should be open sometimes for your pup to come and go, it helps create a positive association with it as they will likely choose to use it when the door is open.

Eventually your pup will be able to hold on all night so the overnight trips to the toilet will be a thing of the past soon, and this should happen on its own.’

I understand about wanting your bedroom back, I don’t allow my dog inside any bedrooms at home. You can use the crate to transition your pup to sleeping in another room and eventually when your pup is trustworthy loose in the house you can just sleep him anywhere in the house loose.

31. alex says:

Hello Katrina,

Great post! Had a question,

My partner and I adopted a 3month maltese last Friday.

For the past two nights it has been sleeping in our room and goes potty on a potty mat opposite his bed (2meters away). He successfully does this half the time.

Unfortunately, my girlfriend starting coughing yesterday and barely slept this night with clear allergy symptoms. We obviously do not want to give him up. We are planning to change living area to the living room.

My question: He has only been with us for two days and seems to have adapted quickly to our room. Unfortunately he cannot stay there permanently. Would it be ok to move him today or should we wait a week until he is completely comfortable until we make the change? (my girlfriend has her own apartment and can stay there in the meantime.)

Alex

Hi Alex,
      It’s been several days since you messaged me so I would think if you havent done so by now you can move your pup out of the bedroom. Hope it has gone smoothly.

32. Laura says:

We have a 7 week old black lab puppy. I also have three kids…every other week. My oldest son is age 14 and has been sleeping with puppy. My son’s room is closest to the door out to the yard … on the weeks the kids are not here , I expect the puppy to sleep on teh floor next to my bed three flights of stairs up. I am wondering if I should be more consistent with sleeping expectations for the puppy? I m am hoping he will learn that when the kids are here he can sleep with my son and when the kids are not here, he will sleep next to my bed. I really feel that my son and the puppy are benefitting from having the bonding cosleeping arrangement, even if its only every other week and a little confusing for the puppy.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated,
    Laura

Hi Laura,
      Don’t worry at all about the different sleeping arrangements your puppy will be fine with the changes. Yes, I agree, your puppy and son will be benefitting from this arrangement.

The only concern I have is that you already have your puppy at 7 weeks, puppies should not be separated from their litter and mum until they are at least 8 weeks old, because of this please take extra care in exposing your puppy to real world experiences in a very positive and non threatening way.

All the best

33. Mislav Boltuzic says:

Hi Katrina, we will be getting a dog soon, probably a border collie. My question is that it will definetly be an outside dog, but because we will buy them when they are young, should you have it sleep outside straight away so they don’t get used to them being inside, or slowly introduce the outside to it? How do we deal with it during the day, should we straight away put it outside in a crate, or have it in the laundry or bathroom? Thanks a lot, any extra advice would be excellent.

Mislav

Hi Mislav,
      When you bring your pup home I would always recommend allowing it to sleep inside close to you for at least a week before transitioning him to possibly a laundry and then outside. The pup will have just been removed from everything it knows and to leave it outside on top of this is stress a baby pup should not have to go through. Use the first week sleeping inside to bond with your pup, they are social animals and crave company, just like us.

You will need a crate if your pup is inside to confine him (for short periods and overnight) to minimise toilet accidents and chewing errors. During the day your pup can be outside but you have to make sure your fencing is adequate.

It sounds like you want your pup outside during the day and night, when are you planning to spend time with him? How much time will you spend with him if he is outside all the time? 1-2hrs over the course of 24 is simply never going to be enough. Please consider having your dog inside with you for at least some of the time.

34. Niki says:

Hi I’ve just taken on a 7 year old jack Russell who’s adorable and her gorgeous pup who’s 7 weeks old. They have come from a shelter and lived in a home with major neglect before that. She’s already lost a couple of pups but luckily this one seems much stronger. My question is about sleeping arrangements. First night she was in a crate in our room which was fine. Should I keep to this arrangement? During the day we move all their bits to a secluded back room so she has space and is away from the other animals ( cats). I’m happy to keep moving things around but I’m not sure if this is confusing for her or if she would be happier in her own area. I’ve only had them just over 24 hours which has been traumatic when the second puppy died this morning. Any advice would be great. Thank you.

Hi Niki,
      Sorry that your dog has had such a terrible time. It seems like the arrangement is working for the moment so I would change too much until you notice your dog is settling in, maybe a week or two. Then you can start moving the crate to where you would like it to remain. Good luck

35. Neisha says:

Hi Katerina,

I just wanted to confirm when we bring our Dane puppy home, we will put him in a sectioned off crate next to the bed…
    Should the gate be closed or ? First night will he be used to it??
    Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Hi Neisha,
      The crate should be closed overnight otherwise your pup can go to the toilet in your room. With the door closed your pup will wake you up when he needs to go to the toilet. This overnight waking should only last a few weeks and then he will be able to hold on all night.

36. Stephen says:

Hi! I know I’m a little late to this article, but I have a 6 month old black lab and sometimes I need to go out nearly all night for some certain shifts at work. I don’t want my roommate to have to deal with my dog, so would it be okay to let him sleep outside for a couple nights during the week? He has a doghouse with a blanket and a doggy door for the doghouse.

• katarina says:

Hi Stephen, dog doors work really well in this situation so he can let himself out if he needs to. Otherwise outside seems your only option just be aware that night-time barking (which occurs more in dogs who sleep outside) does not become a problem for your room mate and neighbours.

37. Suzanne says:

Hi,
    I have just acquired an 8-week old sausage dog pup that is a male. It was an addition to the family as we already have an 8-year old beagle X cavalier. Should I let them sleep in the same room WITH me or can I put them both outside?

Hi Suzanne,
      Congratulations on your new puppy. He can sleep wherever your older one does. As you will know from my previous comments here I always advocate for pet dogs to sleep and live inside with their family.

38. Robert says:

Hi,
    We’ve had our new 9wk old Shiba just join our family, 5 nights ago. She’s been sleeping in crate in a separate room (breeder’s recommendation) from me and my wife, with some whining ofcoarse. I like what you said about the pup sleeping closer to us for bonding, confidence etc. I’m wondering if its too late (after 5 nights) for bonding to move her crate closer to us for sleep? eventually I dont want her sleeping in our room, as she’ll have her room and we have ours

Hi Robert,
      It should be fine to move your pup in a crate in to your room. Shiba’s are an independent breed so you shouldn’t have too many issues about moving her back out again.

39. Fraser burns says:

Hi katrina
    It’s my puppy’s first night at home, t the moment I have newspaper in the crate as an emergency toilet seen as I’m a deep sleeper but I want to be able to leave the crate door open and let him use the toilet I’m the hallway.”? Is this a good idea
    Any tips?

Hi Fraser,
      Your pup should sleep overnight locked in his crate, if you have the crate next to your bed you shouldn’t have any problems hearing him when he wakes to take him to the toilet. The problem with allowing him space is that he can wake up and go anywhere, once he goes in a certain spot, this may not be on the newspaper, he will be more likely to go on that spot again, making more work for you in the future.

40. rachel says:

Hi Katarina

Please help! I bought my new 8 week old lab home almost 3 weeks ago now. He has quite a large pen area set up in our kitchen with his toys, pee/poo mats water etc. Except every single night (2-3 times) he whimpers to th point where I always get up to him. I know this is bad that I always give in as he will think that all he has to do is cry and mummy comes running!. I have noticed that he already seems to have separation anxiety when I leave him in th pen and are in another room he starts whimpering (and now has a loud bark to him) should I be sleeping him in my room in his crate?
    Each time for th past 3 weeks there has not been a single night where I have not gotten up to him at least twice. I take him outside to toilet and then he thinks its play time and I find myself being awake for 30-40 mins trying to get him off to sleep so I can sneak off back to bed!
    When I first got him I had one week of work where I left him in his pen during th day but now am on holidays since 18th dec and return on 14th Jan so really concerned how he will cope. He also bites me all th time and I have tried everything. I want him to be a happy well trained dog.
    Cheers

Hi Rachel,
      Sorry to hear you are having a hard time with your new puppy. Am I right in thinking that you brought your puppy home when he was only 5 weeks old? Please could you clarify his age at the time you brought him home.

• rachel says:

Hi katarina

Thanks for your reply. I was thinking I would receive an email notificationnotification when you responded so sorry bout delay as I didn’t think you had replied.

No he was 8 weeks. He is now almost 14 weeks. Still biting me :(
        I decided to put crate in my room next to our bed so he was close to us. I am happy for him to sleep next to our bed in his own bed once he is older so that is no issue.

He was sleeping through th night up until he got a urine infection (still unsure how) and I also changed his food to more natural than all th preservatives and rubbish he was eating before. But that seems to make him constantly hyper. I am at my wits end sometimes.

I cannot leave th room without him barking (if his in his pen area) he won’t stay out in rest of house with my partner if I am showering etc he constantly jumping up scratching door trying to get in to where I am.

Please help any advice appreciated

• katarina says:

Hi Rachel, I think it would be best to have someone come in and visit you to spend some quality time trying to find out what is actually going on. Ask around, other people with dogs will have recommendations for you. I wouldn’t want to waste time giving advice that may not work for you or him. Stay in touch, let me know how things progress.

• rachel says:

Hi Katarina

I have asked around so many times to other lab owners. We had a trainer come to our home but unfortunately her approach of stopping him biting me didn’t work. I am putting him in his pen area now when he bites me.
            Yesterday I put him in his pen for most of th day while I was doing housework. He seemed to get a bit better and th hint that I will not acknowledge his barking. Normally I leave him out. I am trying th tough love thing!
            No not at all, any advice I will be greatly appreciative of

• katarina says:

Redirection for mouthing is always best but confinement training will also help. Always interact with you pup with a toy in your hand and observe him for signs of behaviour becoming excitable and redirect before he starts biting you. Play with him in his pen and when he starts mouthing you immediately leave so he gets the feedback quickly, if you carry him in to his pen he will have no idea what he is being isolated for so cannot do anything to change his behaviour.

41. Sam says:

We picked up our 8 week old Golden Retriever puppy last week. He has been with us now for 10 nights. He has been excellent. He is mostly toilet trained to go outside now, and happily plays with us and is very happy when he’s been left alone in the garden/outdoor area. We haven’t had any issues with barking or whining. He can even sit and stay (without distractions).
    The only issue we’ve had is that at night we sleep him in a laundry. He has a bed in one corner and newspaper/puppy pads in the other corner. He goes to the toilet on the pads without an issue. Only issue is that once we close the door on him for the evening he scratches and whines for at least 10-15 minutes before he’ll settle. Is this normal? It is definitely considerably better than the first few nights, but I still wonder if 10 nights is normal (even if it’s getting better rather than worse). Do you have any advice? I’ve given him a treat for hopping in his bed and a treat for staying, but once I close the door, and the treat is found/eaten, he isn’t happy.
    It is unfortunately not viable for us to sleep him in our room, so the laundry is the only indoor area we can use.

• katarina says:

Yes, all of this is normal and it will pass so long as you do not open the door while he is crying. As he gets older and more trustworthy he can sleep loose in the house and you will have no need to confine him overnight.

42. Sabina says:

Hello!

We just bought a two month old mini schnauzer, bichon mix, who all that wants to do is play and run around. We also have two cats, a 7 year old and a 3 year old. The 7 year old cat is a little curious about the puppy but not too aggravated, as he has previously lived with dogs at the family that had him before us. My 3 year old cat has never seen dogs before so he is somewhat scared and confused as to the puppy. My husband works until late at night so normally the cats sleep with me on our bed until he arrives. I placed the dog crate in a separate room because I didn’t want my cats to feel neglected or threatened by the puppy’s arrival and at the same time because I want the puppy to sleep at night and not try to play or whine. Now that I read your article I am not so sure this was a good idea – just want to mention that this is our third day with the puppy, so he’s not yet adjusted to anything really. My question is, if I bring the puppy crate in our bedroom or the hallway close to the bedroom, how should do that so that my cats won’t be affected too much? In the alternative, could I start the puppy in a separate room like I have his crate now, then slowly move the crate towards our bedroom, as the cats get more and more accustomed to him? I apologize for the long message and thank you in advance for your reply.

• katarina says:

If your puppy is doing well in the crate in the other room then don’t worry about moving him. Yes, baby puppies play and sleep and eat and toilet and that’s about it, play is a HUGE part of their day so this is normal. Find a reputable puppy school/dog trainer in your area to help you through this time. Also, take look at environment enrichment on doglifetraining or other sites to help provide your puppy with lots of stimulation so he is more tired at the end of the day.

43. Kirsty says:

My older dog used to sleep outdoors and since getting new puppy now sleeps in the lean to part of kitchen which is great.
    The new puppy (13 weeks) came from a pound so initially I created him by my bed, then moved him to end of bed and now he is in crate at top of landing, outside my room. Ideally it would be great if he would sleep in lean to uncreated with older dog (12) Would you advise this and when do you know they can be left together?
    He has outgrown his small crate already – don’t want to but another one if its short term!
    Thanks

Hi Kirsty,
      There is so much that you can use a crate for, and probably you will need it going forward for your puppy so purchasing a new, larger one would be a good idea as things seem to be progessing well with the crate sleeping.

As for when they will be ready to co-sleep that is dependant on how your older dog is coping with the puppy and how the puppy is responding to the older dog, sorry I cannot give you an answer to this. I would continue to use a crate, perhaps a second hand one would be a good option if cost is an issue, or you could borrow one from someone.

• Kirsty says:

Hi thanks for the reply. I purchased a large crate and have the pup sleeping in it outside the bedrooms ???? I’m not sure I could trust the pup not to chew etc uncrated lol.
        The dogs are getting on great – I’m so proud with my older one and how she had coped with it all.
        Thanks again

44. Christiane Schmidt says:

Hello,
    we just got a 6 week old border collie. I already read most of your responses about grating and what to do the first weeks at his new home. Thank you for that. But here is one more question. Our new poppy Panda is technically my daughters dog but she is only 8. Her father and I live in separate houses. The idea is to kind of share Panda between our households. Do you think that will be a problem for such a young poppy to get comfortable. Especially because I learned from your Blog that 6 weeks is way to young to be removed from his litter. Any advice?
    When should we get a trainer for him? Right away or with a couple of month?

• katarina says:

Yes, six weeks is too young to have a pup removed from their litter. No reputable breeder would ever give their pup away before 8 weeks, therefore I would seriously question the breeders practices, they obviously do not care about temperament or health. Now it is your responsibility to pay very careful attention to developing your pups confidence, and the best way to do that is to see a good trainer as soon as possible. They will also help with managing your pup between two households. All the best. Border Collies are high performance dogs so you will need lots of support going forward.

45. Amanda says:

Hello,
    I received my 8 week old Maltipoo yesterday from Bradley airport. He was flown from DFW. Yesterday when we got home he drank and peed but I could not get him to eat. I tried all night as well as at 5am. Made an appt with the vet met with them and they said his glucose was fine and that he’s probably just stressed. I have to feed him with a syringe (which he does not like and fights me on it) and practically sleeps all day. Is this normal? He’s only 1.5 pounds. Also it’s too cold where I live and especially with him being so little should I practice training on a mat instead. I really wanted him to train outside. But he’s so little

• katarina says:

If the vet has found no health issues then yes he probably has lost his appetite due to stress. It’s normal for a pup to take a few days or weeks to settle in so don’t worry too much about this, he will eat when he is hungry, don’t try and force it. Baby puppies sleep a lot! As long as when he is awake he is active and alert.

It doesnt snow here so I can’t tell you how to work that out with a baby puppy and outdoor training, that might be a question for your local dog trainer or other people in your area who have had dogs before.

Don’t be afraid to go back to the vet should you continue to have concerns about your puppy.

46. Saurabh says:

Hi katarina,

Your comments have been very helpful. when I went to see the lab pup that i have just brought, he was already separated from his mother in 5 weeks. I later came to know that a pup should not be separated from his mother/litter till 8 weeks.

I didnt feel like returning it because i knew that the breeder will not take care of him the way he is supposed to.

I was disheartened, but have decided to take up this challenge to give him a good loving home.

Unfortunately in india pups are actually separated within 5 weeks and it is not possible to fins a trainer for a pup less than 10 week old.

I had a couple of queries.

1. Its been a week and he has been sleeping with us but mornings are harrowing as he poops and pees all over the place. Have tried pad training with drops of the liquid, but its of little help. So can i start crate training with him right now or is he too young for that? He is 43 days old now.

2. The room that he stays in has a very bad odor. Is it for all labs or do i need to ask a vet about it? (I gave him vaccination when he was 40 days and will take him for de worming tomorrow )

3. When can i start giving him treats as it will help me to train him better.

Thanks in advance.

• katarina says:

Yes, that is so young for a puppy to be separated from his litter and mum, very sad. You can start crate training now and you can also start using food to train him, use his normal food rather than treats. Set aside the amount of food you would normally give him for a full day and take from that each time you want to do some training or want to reward him for good behaviour.

Once you start crate training you will need to wake a couple of times during the night to take him to the toilet, expect that you will be doing this overnight for the next couple of months.

Yes, absolutely take him to the vet for a check up, healthy puppies smell lovely! If he smells bad something is not right.

47. Jas says:

Hi! I’m getting a puppy soon. He is a German Shepherd and Husky mix. The owner is not a breeder and he said that they had puppies by accident. But I am getting one and the land lord where I live has a rule of “No Dogs Indoors”. Will it be okay for the puppy to sleep outside from the start? I did want the dog to be outdoors most of the time. And I can’t add a dog door either cause I obviously don’t own my house. My family will be spending time with him throughout the day since someone is always home at some point in the day. Please let me know. Thanks!

• katarina says:

Hi Jas, Hopefully you have read some of my previous comments and you will know that I always recommend dogs remain indoors with their families. Dogs are social animals and need company, not just for a few minutes scattered throughout the day but quality company. We are social animals also and I could think of nothing worse than to be locked away from my family with minimal company.

If I were you I would spend some time looking for another rental where dogs are allowed, then get a dog. I would also never take a puppy from an ‘accidental breeder’ anything less than a planned and thought out litter is a big risk factor for a dog developing hereditary behavioural issues. Also, a GSD x Husky is a serious dog, if you leave this kind of dog outdoors with minimal stimulation be prepared for some destruction to the outside of your house and yard.

48. Gijs says:

Hi Katarina,

Thanks for all the insight. Do have a question though. Have an 8 weeks GS puppy who is scared of the crate. When he wakes up he starts out wandering and exploring without my attention and that is something I would like to avoid. Until he is happy with the crate, I put him on a secured leash during the night to prevent the wandering. Is that an okay practice from your perspective? Thanks for the feedback.

• katarina says:

Hey! Can be risky having a lead on unsupervised (while you are sleeping) it’s your choice at the end of the day though. Hope he’s happy in his crate by now, I’ll be posting a video on crate training for reluctant puppies soon, stay tuned.

49. rose says:

hi, i have a question
    if i put my puppy’s crate downstairs in the living room and sleep with him there until he has matured, will i be able to leave him there and go to my room. and also,can i just put the puppy in the bed with me?
    thanks

50. Jennifer says:

Hello,

I brought home my puppy 10 days ago, he was 14.5wks old when he arrived. We are having trouble getting him to accept his crate (this is placed in the kitchen where my two older dogs sleep). Some nights have been better than others, (sometimes he settles after 10-15 minutes and sleeps from 10pm til 4:30am and then again until 6:00am (after a toilet break). Sometimes he wakes twice to go to the toilet. However, sometimes he can cry for hours when he goes in and this morning even managed to wriggle out of his crate. :(

Ultimately I would like to ditch the crate, but I need him to be housetrained and confident that he won’t eat/chew anything that could harm him.

Any advice would be greatly received – I don’t want to stress him out, and I certainly don’t want him to injure himself trying to escape.

Thanks!

51. Jim says:

I got a staffy pup at 4 weeks from a dodgy breeder she has gone from strength to strength I pup a cage in the corner near the door with paper and tell her to go pee on the paper she is 6 weeks now and nearly always gets it right it’s amazing she is coming to me when called always inside sometimes outside due to distractions she comes to me sits and shakes hands at 6 weeks awesome but sleeping she will cry for hours if I put her in the other room if she sleeps next to my bed she sleeps great so I’m doing it so I can get rest .ive got a lot of training to do but I think she is showing signs of being a awesome little dog I love her so much she won’t leave my side it’s great .i do put a massive amount of time in to her I’m sure that’s why I’m getting such good results

52. Barbara Rocha-Chevers says:

Hi,

We just got a new puppy 3 days ago, she is a beagle girl 10 weeks old. We decided to put the crate in the living area. First night she cried for a few minutes, went to sleep and did great overnight. Second night she cried longer and stopped when I walked over there and stood by the crate for a few minutes not making eye contact just saying crate crate bed. She fell asleep great night. Last night she was sleeping in the living room on the floor we took a nap on the couch and then stared getting ready for bed. I put her in the crate and she fell asleep in 5min while I was close. But we made some noise and she woke up started crying and barking for about 20min, and went over there did same thing I had done the night before, she fell asleep. 10min later woke up same scenario. I took it as long as I could but she wouldn’t stop it was just getting worse. So I went over there again and filled up a bottle of water with warm water wrapped in a sock, put a ticking clock close to the crate and she fell asleep, woke up at 4 and 6h30 to use the bathroom no problems. My husband can ignore it but I can’t take it, plus we have neighbors and it’s very upsetting. Is it bad that I stand by the crate until she falls asleep? How can we facilitate this bed time routine? Thank you

53. Anita says:

I need advice…my sister is dying of cancer and I promised to take her 2 maltese and keep them. I have a maltese of my on as well. My maltese sleeps by our bed in a crate and does quite well without issues. Her dogs are use to sleeping with her. They are probably 2 to 3 yrs of age like my dog. Any suggestions?

54. Tizil says:

Should the puppy sleep in A/c or in natural environment ??

55. Leslie Villanueva says:

Hi. I have a 3 month old shin tzu. She’s trained to poop outside but the problem is we still keep her in the cage at night coz we can’t afford to have her moving around the house while we are sleeping. She doesn’t poop inside the cage but still weewee at night. During the day she eliminates outside when we take her out after meals. Is this ok? I’m hoping to get her out of the cage soon and leave her out all night but I’m worried that she’s too young still. Help

56. Pingback: how to toilet train a kelpie puppy • Puppy training

57. Jaz says:

I have just read all of your comments which are very helpful thank you. Do you think it is too long to leave 10 week old spoodle in a crate while I’m at work during the day 8am-3pm. He’s just been in the living room but has dug up the carpet.

58. cs:go says:

Great looking site. Assume you did a lot of your very ownyour very own coding

59. Brittney says:

So I have been letting my new red nose pitbull sleep in my master bedroom tub filled with a blanket, water and even a pad to pee on. Should I still sleep with him or is it safe that I leave him inside the bathtub

60. A.J. says:

Hi Katarina,

We intend on crate training our puppy once we pick her up in a couple weeks but do you see any issues with letting an 8 week old pup sleep in the bed with us?

Thanks for your time!

61. Heidi-Anne Keiser says:

I have a 2 year old toy poodle. He cries when I put him in his kennel at night. I want to transition him to a bed on the floor but I’m scared he will pee during the night even though he doesn’t do it in his kennel anymore. What should I do?

62. katie merrigan says:

hi my name is katie and my family and I just got a 3 month old golden retriever. my dad and mam is making him sleep outside. I don’t think that’s a good idea, but they think otherwise what . Is it ok for him to sleep outside ? I don’t want him out there but they wont listen !!!! HELP !!!!!!

63. Pammy says:

Hi I have a 8 week old cockapoo puppy I brought him home yesterday he is going in his crate and napping but not for long when do I start to shut the door or should I have been shutting it from the start ? Kind Regards Pammy

64. Justine says:

I have a situation. My partner & I work night shifts from 11pm to 4am, & when we get home we are very tired & fall asleep usually from 5am to 2pm depending on the day. We have an 8 week old puppy & during the time we sleep he is in the room with us, while we are at work we used to keep him in the laundry but now outside. I am worried if it’ll affect him a lot, he has separation anxiety & is always whining, crying & howling. Is he too young to be outside for the 5 hours we are not home?

65. Babita says:

Hi dear
    My 1yearand nine month old spoodle is used to sleep in my son s room but now we want our puppy to sleep alone in loung room due to my son exam and also my son also want to train her because his friend are coming over to satay his room . Not nice for the his friend . Please help us how we train our poppy.
    Babita

66. Emily says:

I’m getting a puppy at the start of January, which means I will have to go to school without my puppy about 2 weeks after I get it how do I get an 8 week old puppy used to the idea of me going to school 5 days a week for over 6 hours?

67. Lachlan says:

We have a 4 month old toy poodle who has been sleeping downstairs now for a month in his play pen that has his bed, pee pad and water. We leave him in the living room that we have blocked off and give him access to when we are at home playing with him or watching tv or cooking in the kitchen where he can see us. We felt that by now he would have stopped his crying by now but we still get around 5-10 mins of crying each night when we leave to go up stairs or leaving for work. Is this normal or should he be sleeping in a bedroom upstairs next to ours?

68. aman says:

hi.. i hv 8 months old pup.. he used to sleep on the same place since he was 3months old.. but now its winters are coming.. whenever i try to move him another warm place he starts barking.. plz help me how can i make him sleep to warm place at night:( help

69. Kokila says:

Hi I have a 2 months old Puppy. She is with us for 4 days. The first day we made her sleep in the laundry room. She whined at first. But when me and my husband patted her for some time, she went to sleep. From the next day onwards, she wants to sleep with us in our room. For 2 days my husband slept next to her and she was ok. Yesterday was a nightmare she wanted me to take her to bed with me. She wants to cuddle with me while sleeping. When I put her back in her bed, she starts whining for nearly half an hour. How can I make her sleep in her bed?? Someone help me please

70. Kokila says:

Hi Katarina,
    I have a 2 months old Puppy. She is with us for 4 days. The first day we made her sleep in the laundry room. She whined at first. But when me and my husband patted her for some time, she went to sleep. From the next day onwards, she wants to sleep with us in our room. For 2 days my husband slept next to her and she was ok. Yesterday was a nightmare she wanted me to take her to bed with me. She wants to cuddle with me while sleeping. When I put her back in her bed, she starts whining for nearly half an hour. How can I make her sleep in her bed?? Can you help me please??

71. Anna says:

Hi Katarina,
    I have a 10 week old toy poodle puppy. Today is Sunday night/Monday morning and I got him last Thur.. I am in the process of figuring out the best way to train him for when I am at work over nights. (I am a nurse and work 3 12 hr shifts a week) I am ok with pee pad training. Eventually I will take him outside, but he doesn’t have all his shots yet and I was told to wait. Anyway, I currently have him in a playpen which is located in my bedroom. Inside I have all the essentials, including food/water, pad, bed, toys and pet carrier with soft padding/blanket. First three nights were horrible: he cried like crazy….I sat on the floor next to him and sang him songs until he’d fall asleep, then go back to sleep in my bed….this would repeat every 2 hrs. (The third night getting him to bed wasn’t as horrible as the first two, but the rest of the night was bad). When he’d wake up crying around 630 am, I’d let him in my bed after he goes potty. Tonight is different: I placed him in there and have not been back to my room (this is after having two confinement “training rounds” of 1 hour each today during the day and evening to see how he does…he did well for which I verbally praised him since I’ve yet to find the right treats after being told how picky/horrible of eaters toy poodles are). Tonight he cried for about 30 min then stopped. Then again cried a bit about 1.5 later then stopped. Then again some whining bout 30 min later. My question is: am I doing this right? I don’t want to damage my puppy or our relationship…but until he’s potty trained, I cannot allow for him to not be confined….is it best to keep him locked at night or put up a baby gate with the pen door open? Once he IS trained, that’s what I’ll do. But until then, am I torturing him by locking him up over night and not replying to the crying that occurs on and off every couple hrs or so?

72. joan_jptv@yahoo.com.ph says:

Hi, I adopted a 1 month and 2 weeks old shih tzu, we were not able to wait until she is at her 8 weeks because the mother does not feed or nurse the puppy and her sister already died. Same as with the owner they were not able to attend to the puppies. I just want to know if, can I let my puppy sleep on my bed at a young age. Also I am planning to get her a bed where she can comfortably take a nap.

Can i also ask for some advice if how can I train her to know and be comfortable with her own bed? Should I start training her even she is still 6 weeks old? Thank you very much

73. Chady says:

Hi Katarina,
    Thanks for the advices!
    I will have my 10 weeks maltese tomorrow night. I have 2 boys, 6 years old and 2 years old.should i put the dog in a crate next to me for the first week?
    He is not allowed to be out before his third vaccination so where do you suggest I take him to toilet?
    Thanks,
    Chady

74. Olga says:

Hi, Katerina I just Got a female german sheperd two weeks ago , now she is 8 weeks old. when I wake up I take her out to the backyard I play with her and feed her, then I crate her and get ready for school. Then in a half hour my parents take her out to the bathroom. My whole family leaves the house and doesnt get back until 12, so from 7 till 12 she is in a crate , is that too much time for her to be in the crate and is theire any other option, Also Since she doesnt have all of her vaccines yet because she is too young she always has alot of energy and really hyper do you know any exercises or activities that i can do with her so she has to time to play it all off. Also since she is only 8 weeks old i have tried training her she knows come and her name and she is learning sit but i dont know how to train her because her attention span is so little.

75. Anmmol says:

Hi…If there is no way that the pup can go outside for peeing at night….Is it alright if we train it to pee in the bathroom at night and out in the day

76. Denise says:

Hello i have a puppy I picked up at just about 7 weeks. I I have a area sectioned off in the kitchen I have put her in there only a couple of times one been for an hour where she did nothing but cry bark and whimper. I need to get her used to it for at least 4 hours when I am back to work in 5 days. I hae two older dogs so I can’t leave them on their own at first. I’m not sure how to get her used to the area sectioned off I the kitchen. I thought the award here would be better than a crate

77. Neha says:

Hi. I’m getting a new puppy and it has to live outside because I already have a cat in the house. I’m just worried it is going to bark or whine or run away. How can I make it feel comfortable and happy outside my house?

78. Heather says:

Thank you Katrina! We brought our little guy home right before Christmas and after reading your post, we’ve kept his crate in our bedroom. At first, the pup would go in the crate and go to sleep without whining or barking. After two-three weeks though, he started whimpering and barking. The whimpering and barking only last 10-15 though. Our night time routine did not change, just the puppies reaction to the crate. Is there something that could be wrong or do you have suggestions for how to help him?
    Also, our little pup will sleep straight through the night (10:00-5:00), once he’s fallen asleep. The problem is that my husband has recently been getting up in the middle of night to use the restroom, which wakes up the puppy. Once up, our little guy does not want to settle back down. My husband and I have been talking about moving his crate to a different room so that his sleep is not disturbed during the night. We have had our little guy for 6 weeks and he’s 15 weeks old. Is he ready to leave our room? I just don’t want to damage him emotionally.
    Thank you so much for your advice!

79. Sara Pinkerton says:

Hello,
    We have an 8 week old Boxer- Mastiff that we have now had for a week. We were having him sleep down the hall in the bathroom so he had plenty of space for a potty pad and his bed. However, he can sneak through amd/or over the gate. Tonight we shut the door completely but he definitely didn’t like it and I don’t blame him. My husband finally agreed to move his kennel into our room for him to sleep in starting tomorrow. Do you think that’s a good idea? We want to do what’s best for our little guy!

80. ani says:

My 4 months old lab does not want to sleep outside in night what to do with him?

81. Kimberly Vega says:

Hello,
    We just bought a puppy (first dog), English bulldog to be exact but he seems to be having problems sleeping on his bed. When we first got him he slept on his bed and the second week he prefers to sleep on the floor. Do you think that he gets hot (but we have a/c or maybe he doesn’t like his bed. I made him a makeshift bed with a blanket and he prefers the blanket over the floor. He also seems a little sad or withdrawn but he plays really well with my 7 yr old son. Do you think he is sick? I also noticed some small hives and maybe he is allergic to something or the bed? I made an appointment with a local vet, but should I take him sooner?

82. Mario Gomez says:

Hi! Great Post! I bring home a 10 weeks border collie and she sleeps inside the house, she feels comfortable since she don’t cry at nights or tries to get to the second floor, but I’m having trouble teaching her potty training, I don’t have a crate to put her on and she doesn’t like to be limited in the house area, but even I tried to teach her that backyard is the place for her to do her thing, she keeps doing herself inside in the nights, even she does outside most of the time outside in daytime, she keeps having accidents inside, I don’t want to let her outside always but I don’t want to be cleaning all the mess several times at day, what can I do???

• Richelle says:

Mario,

I wouldn’t leave water accessible during the night. Make sure she relieves herself before bedtime. If all else fails, train her on a pee pad for during the night.

83. Richelle says:

Katrina,

I do not have a second crate for sleeping arrangements and I don’t want to have to haul the kennel I do have up and down the stairs everyday. Is it okay to use a plastic tub as a crate for sleeping? He is pretty small right now and I don’t think he would need much space. And it could be right next to my side of the bed.

84. Mary says:

We have a 5 month old Groodle, who is an outside dog. This is the second dog I’ve owned that has only ever lived outside. My first dog lived a very happpy healthy life and died of old age with next to no health problems at age 18. When we brought our current pup home at 10 weeks of age, we had wrapped him in a blanket during the transport in the car which we then placed on his mattress in his secure and warm kennel. He very easily took to this kennel without hesitation as he napped in it during the day & slept in it very peacefully all night. The kennel is outside under cover, right next to the house alongside a floor to ceiling window, so he always feels close to us. At first when he needed to go to the toilet, he would often go on the paving at night. However during the day we would take the time to gently reinforce that toilet was on the grass area. He now has this totally down packed. When we are indoors, our dog can see us through floor to ceiling windows which line the whole side of the yard where he is mostly situated. I personally believe it is selfish, and not in a dogs best interests to be brought in and out of the house: particularly in winter given the significant change in temperature from heated to non-heated environment. Our dog is well trained, sufficiently socialised for now & wonderful around children. He never barks when we pass another dog while walking, and he also only barks when he hears someone nearing the house, but now ignores and no longer barks when hearing the neighbouring dogs barking. That too took some work. He is a happy, loving, well adjusted puppy whom we totally adore. There is no need to have your puppy sleep indoors ‘at any stage’ if this is not your preference, as it is not necessarily what is best for them!

85. Sandra Gabra says:

Hi Katrina,
    I have three one month old rescue puppies, I don’t have a crate yet so I put them in a plastic clothes dish but they whine and get out of it, I put cloths on the floor for them but they always move and sleep on the hard cold floor (ceramic) Is it dangerous for them at this age ?
    Thanks